Wednesday, March 9, 2011

National Nutrition Month-Eat Right with Color



Welcome to March and National Nutrition Month. This year the theme for National Nutrition Month is "Eat Right With Color". This is a great way to introduce new and interesting foods and add variety in flavor and color to your plate.
Let's see where you are at with this short quiz:
1. Do you consider nutrition when making food choices?
a.) Most days
b) Sometimes
c) Never
2. Do you avoid skipping meals?
a) Most days
b) Sometimes
c) Never
3. Do you include 3 or more whole grain foods daily?
a) Most days
b) Sometimes
c) Never
4. Do you eat at least 2 1/2 cups of vegetables daily?
a) Most Days
b) Sometimes
c) Never
5. Do you vary veggies with dark green and orange varieties?
a) Most days
b) Sometimes
c) Never
6. Do you eat at least 2 cups of fruit daily?
a) Most days
b) Sometimes
c) Never
7. Do you get 3 cups of low-fat or fat-free milk, yogurt or cheese daily?
a) Most days
b) Sometimes
c) Never
8. Do you choose lean meats and poultry?
a) Most days
b) Sometimes
c) Never
9. Do you vary protein with more fish, beans and nuts?
a) Most days
b) Sometimes
c) Never
10. Do you try to limit saturated and trans-fats?
a) Most days
b) Sometimes
c) Never
Scoring: Give yourself 2 points for each "Most days" answer, 1 point for "Sometimes" and 0 points for " Never".
16-20 points: Healthy eating seems to be your habit already
10-15 points: Your on track. A few easy changes will make your total eating plan healthier.
0-9 points: Sometimes you may eat smart. For your good health, add more smart choices to you eating plan.
This week try to make changes that will increase your score. If you're already doing good try to add some variety. Next week I'll give you some tips on increasing color on your plate.
(Quiz provided by the American Dietetic Association at www.eatright.org )

7 comments:

  1. Oh dear~I'm guessing the Skittles I just ate don't count as the kind of "color" I should be enjoying? Love your blog!!! (It is probably no coincedence that "fatti" is the security word I had to type to post this! Hee!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay this is a comment for you last post (just in case you would miss it). I'm looking for some kind of protein supplement that is totally safe and effective for supporting my conditioning workouts. Do you have any advice. I keep looking into different products and I'm not really sure what is safe. I'll check back to see if you have any drink or supplement that you recommend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve and Hailey,
    I found this great article that goes over a lot of the supplements and their effectiveness and their safety. I don't know a lot about specific ones so I'm checking with some of my other friends who are dietitians and work with athlete's specifically to get more information. I do know that you want to be very careful and follow the directions on the bottle so you don't get too much and overload your kidney's. Give me a couple more days and I'll get back with you with what my friend says.
    Thanks, Jalaine

    http://weighttraining.about.com/od/weighttrainingsupplements/a/ten_supplements.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I can't wait to hear more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, I’m at my job and was browsing on the web, goofing off, when I came across your web page. It is quite nicely accomplished, and I truly like your type of composing. .....Thanks.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for giving us nice info. Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post. Weight Training For Women Over 507

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot WAIT to read more of this. I mean, you just know so much about this. So much of it Ive never even thought of. You sure did put a new twist on something that Ive heard so much about. I dont believe Ive actually read anything that does this subject as good justice as you just did.

    ReplyDelete