Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Yummiest tortilla soup..healthy too!

I had some leftover turkey I used instead of chicken. I also added some green peppers. I finished it off with a tiny bit of low fat sour cream. It was HEAVENLY!!!

Chicken Tortilla Soup
Ingredients
3 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/4-inch strips
4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 large onion, chopped
5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 pound red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup frozen corn
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons lime juice

Directions
In a large resealable plastic bag, combine tortilla strips, 1 teaspoon oil and salt. Seal bag and shake to coat. Arrange tortilla strips on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until crisp, stirring once. Remove to paper towels to cool.
In a large saucepan, saute chicken in remaining oil until no longer pink and lightly browned. Add onion; cook and stir until onion is tender. Add broth and potatoes.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the corn, chilies, cilantro and pepper. Cook until heated through. Stir in lime juice. Garnish with tortilla strips. Yield: 6 servings.



Nutrition Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 221 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 757 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.

2 comments:

  1. Yummm. I'm trying tonight.
    Thanks Lac! And congrats on your spotlight ---- how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lacee! I was checking out Or So She Says and saw your feature! I was so excited to get to come visit your blog! You are so awesome, and I love all your tips and recipes! Tortilla soup is my fav and I'm for sure going to have to make this one! I don't know if Crista told you but I found out recently that I am pregnant with my first! Yahoo! So, if I were to make a suggestion for post I would love to know some of the workouts that you did during pregnancy!

    -Raquel

    ReplyDelete